Ayurvedic-inspired "beauty" tips

posted on: Friday, February 26, 2016

I've been wanting to share some of my favorite "beauty" practices for a while now. The things that are most important to me in the "beauty" department are skin care and hair care.

First, skin care. I have only recently been mindful in this area, and I have the detox cleanse I did to thank for it.  The detox cleanse was evidence-based and emphasized a lot of ayurvedic practices (which I have studied throughout my undergraduate and graduate school career, as well as my yoga practice) :)
 The routine I learned from the cleanse was this:

In the morning, after taking a shower (or skipping the shower, if I take one at night instead), start the day off with dry-skin brushing. Yes, brush your skin.  I use one of those brushes with a handle that you can use to easily reach your back :)

Dry-skin brushing is so fantastic for you. Your skin is your biggest organ and dry-skin brushing is great for stimulating said organ, which does wonders for your energy! It definitely helps me wake up in the morning!
After dry-skin brushing, I use a natural, organic body lotion.

That's pretty much it for my morning routine. Then, in the evening, I use a natural, organic body oil.
This routine has made such a big difference for me, especially in the winter.

As for my hair. My goodness. My whole life I hated the frizzy, fuzzy, wannabe curly beast that is my hair. But then something wonderful happened.

I found the world of deva curl.
When I moved to Seattle about four years ago, I decided it was time to actually get my hair cut by a professional (sorry best friend, Hannah, who cut my hair from like the 8th grade until then).  When I started looking at yelp reviews for hair stylists, I found out that there were some who had special certifications in working with curly hair. Specifically, I found someone who is deva curl certified.

Getting my hair cut by someone who knows curly hair is incredible. First off- she cuts my hair when it is still dry-- because curls have a mind of their own, they always take about the same curl shape/structure. Then she washes my hair and goes back to double check that it's even.
(If you have curly hair- you know this is not an over-exaggeration.)
I have been in love with deva curl products ever since. I no longer brush my hair. 

I never use towels (normal towels just make curly hair frizz). If I don't have my deva towel with me (100% microfiber), then I just use a t-shirt. 

And I use my deva curl product right out of the shower. Then that's it. I don't touch my hair again until it dries, then I "scrunch" my hair to unlock the curl product and hands off until I wash it again!
(http://www.sephora.com/one-condition-P378326#ooid=xuazc2dDqgnmk2bRu-Npn4Kvk4ya-FUi)
I also try to limit hair washing to 2x/week (depending on my exercise routine). I just put my hair up in a shower cap. 

This is also in line with ayurvedic practice so that you don't mess with your body's sebum (oil) production. If you wash your hair everyday, your body will typically produce higher levels of oil to protect your hair ("normal" levels of hair oil actually protects your hair from damage). This over-production can lead to oily skin.
This routine has made a huge difference for me. I feel confident in my curls now. 
(Yay curls!)
I do love to straighten my hair once in a while, though, because it's almost shocking to see how long my hair actually is!!
(I decided to straighten half my hair once to see the difference, haha!)

I will be a happy person if this post helps at least one fellow curly-in-distress!

xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A.A. Wellness All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger