I
literally watched four hours of criminal minds this morning. After spending the
last two years working full-time, while going to school full-time, while
spending another 10-15 hours per week at an internship, while making time for
the family, the boyfriend, and taking care of myself; having the time to sit at
home binge watching all the tv shows I’d missed was not something I saw in my
future. But here I am.
For
the last three months, I have been getting up between 7 and 8 am when my
boyfriend leaves for work (someone has to have a job), and then I
decide what to do while eating my breakfast. Do I watch last night’s episode of
the Tonight Show? Maybe Kelly & Michael?
Or do I watch an episode of a show I’m not caught up on? Now, I know
when I choose the latter that I will not be very productive. That’s because
whether I watch my show on Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu, the next episode
will automatically play… As a result, I have caught up on Sherlock Holmes, The
Wire, True Detective, Hit Record, Girls, and Downton Abbey.
On the days I choose the show I wasn’t caught up on, after the inevitable four hours of binge watching, I then do something productive. I clean (laundry, dishes, vacuum, clean the bathroom) while listening to an audiobook or podcast. Next, I spend several hours in a coffee shop (or at home) working on job applications, emailing anyone I know in the professional world in an effort to network, updating my job application spreadsheet (I'm keeping a detailed record of how many jobs I have applied to, received call backs from, received rejections from, and have heard absolutely nothing from), and scouting for more jobs to apply to. Now, on the days I don’t binge on tv shows, I still try to do some cleaning, then I head to the gym before going to the coffee shop.
Once I decide I can’t stand any more productivity, I do something outside. Living in Ballard, Seattle feels extra amazing when you don’t have a job. I can walk to the Locks, Golden Gardens, go window shopping, go climbing at Stone Gardens, or drag someone to Card Kingdom to play board games with me.
On the days I choose the show I wasn’t caught up on, after the inevitable four hours of binge watching, I then do something productive. I clean (laundry, dishes, vacuum, clean the bathroom) while listening to an audiobook or podcast. Next, I spend several hours in a coffee shop (or at home) working on job applications, emailing anyone I know in the professional world in an effort to network, updating my job application spreadsheet (I'm keeping a detailed record of how many jobs I have applied to, received call backs from, received rejections from, and have heard absolutely nothing from), and scouting for more jobs to apply to. Now, on the days I don’t binge on tv shows, I still try to do some cleaning, then I head to the gym before going to the coffee shop.
Once I decide I can’t stand any more productivity, I do something outside. Living in Ballard, Seattle feels extra amazing when you don’t have a job. I can walk to the Locks, Golden Gardens, go window shopping, go climbing at Stone Gardens, or drag someone to Card Kingdom to play board games with me.
That’s a day in the life. I try to schedule networking events, coffee dates,
even day trips (biking, hiking, socializing) to have something on my calendar.
I tell myself this is a great time to work on my hobbies; knitting, playing the
ukulele, working out, improving my Spanish…And sure, it is pretty fantastic to
have time for those things. But why is it taking so damn long to start my
career?



0 comments:
Post a Comment